Mohair is one of the most luxurious natural fibres and the ultimate choice for creating knitted items that have a magnificent sheen. Made from the coats of Angora goats, mohair is a remarkably soft, silk-like wool with a unique lustre that sets it apart from other types of wool.
Mohair wool is beautifully soft to the touch, making it a dream to knit with and is usually quicker to knit up with than other types of yarn. Not only does it have a plush feel in the hand, but it allows you to create woollen garments that have a shine like no other. Mohair is great for knitting garments for colder weather – there’s nothing quite like the look and feel of putting on a mohair winter jumper on a chilly day.
Here are some of the many reasons that we love to knit with mohair:
- Shiny and lustrous, with qualities similar to silk
- Strong and durable for knitting items that stand the test of time
- Warm and cosy, making it the perfect choice for cold weather clothing
- Non-itchy, so those with sensitive skin don’t have to worry
- Moisture-wicking, so moisture is quickly moved away from the skin and dries quickly
- Anti-wrinkle thanks to the natural crease-resistant fibre